Friday, January 12, 2007

I love cloth diapers

So what did I do today? I washed up my brand new cloth diapers. Yay! I have been making do with infant sized ones for way too long. Turns out I had infant sized ones that are only supposed to last until about 6 months old. Piglet is a year! I bought a one and a half dozen large prefolds from www.integritydiapercompany.com. She has great prices and fantastic shipping. I ordered these Monday night and received them Thursday morning. As for the quality? These are very soft and quilted up nicely in only 3 washes and one dry.

Ok. So you made it this far. Are you wondering WHY I use cloth diapers? Well, to start with I am cheap. Monkey is totally disposable diapered.
I never even considered cloth. Ewww. Gross. But then $20 a week for diapers is just too much. So when Piglet came along I saw cloth diapers and thought, "Why not?" I bought a few and decided to give it a try. I LOVE them.

1. It costs $1.50/ diaper for prefold diapers that will last for all of your children. Depending on how often you wash you can get away with just 18 diapers and 2 covers. That's it. No more buying diapers ever.
2. They don't smell. You know that awful diaper smell that comes out of any diaper pail no matter how advanced? Nope. Don't have it. And I just use a 5 gallon bucket from True Value.
3. I also use cloth wipes. Soft flannel on baby's bum rather that chemically treated paper.
4. Piglet has never had diaper rash! Can you say that?
5. No crunchy sounding butts
6. There is nothing to compare the feeling of picking up a babe wearing a soft wool cover. They are all softness and chub.
7. No leaks! I have never had a cloth diaper leak.
8. No goopy gel or creepy chemicals on my babe's tush.
9. I never run out of diapers. If I was absolutely desparate I now know how to fashion one out of an old t-shirt and a garbage bag.
10. Fashion diapers.

1 comment:

Domestic Goddess said...

Hey,
I used cloth on and off with the boys, I like it! I loved all-in-ones. One of my friends has a jknitting business and sells patterns for wool covers and also sells the covers. I think you knit, but if you wanna check it out it is littleturtleknits.com.
BTW - you go girl! No diaper rash? AWESOME!